Google maps and apps

Please note that the session topic has now been changed to Google maps and apps.

When: Tuesday, November 6th 4-5pm, Melbourne, Australia time gmt+11 Check out your time with timeanddate

About this session:

1. Learn how to create active google maps and add pins which feature images, videos, hyperlinks etc. See skippy, a year 10 student’s google map
  2. How to embed them on to an online space so that they are still live and editable.
  3. Discuss some classroom and personal applications
  4. Walk through some other collaborative google apps including Document and Presentation

Come along with your questions, your curiousity and experiences and share in the conversations. Here is the link to the recording of this session.

Are there any questions that you might have? Have you used google maps in the classroom? How have you used them? What could you share. Please add as a comment below.

2 thoughts on “Google maps and apps

1. Hi Anne, Thank you for such a fun exploratory session on Google maps! It’s amazing that we could do all of that map creation together right in Blackboard Collaborate. You provided so much motivation that I couldn’t stop trying new things on our collaborative map. I’m so excited to report that I learned how to embed a YouTube video on the map. I watched this tutorial to help me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdtea5i9Kqs The key is that you need to check the first option under the video for “Show suggested videos when the video finishes “. Very strange, but it gives you a different embed code when you do that and then it will show up on your pin. He explains it well in the video above. I was able to create a new pin for Grand Canyon and embed a video tour about the Grand Canyon. You also have to be sure to click on “Save” and “Done” when you’re finished so the pin and video save. I think we need a followup session to share what we have discovered and to continue on with our exploration of Google Apps. 🙂

2. Oh, Peggy I dont know what I would have done without you. I was simply going to demonstrate how to add a pin to a map, add an image, video and hyperlink. Then as I started, I thought why not make it hands on and create a Tech Talk Tuesday map so everyone could collaborate and add a pin right there and then, especially as we had so many states from Australia represented and Canada and you from the USA. Brilliant idea in theory, but only practical if I had researched it prior! I had not created a collaborative map before and they have changed the settings. Thinking it would be just like google docs, by making the map public it would become editable by all. However, I only noticed the collaborate link when people said that they could not edit.
    Then my google map just went crazy and I could not control it at all, so thank you for stepping in so professionally and app sharing for me. Despite the hiccups, it does prove that a networked brain is a powerful element where we can work together, learn together and share – the instructor or teacher does not have to know everything. This can be transferred across into the physical classroom. It also showed beautifully how Blackboard Collaborate enables ‘hands on’ across the globe which is an amazing thing in itself. So, glad that you worked out the video for us. Hope you got to bed at some stage and yes, please we may aim for another session at the end of November.
    Thanks so much for helping me out.