This session was a general discussion amongst the participants looking at the following questions:-
- Is education fulfilling its goals?
- Are our classrooms reflecting the ideals of the 21st century?
- Are we using technological tools effectively?
- How should education change? What needs to happen to make it change?
- What are you doing in your classroom?
- Will the ultranet make a difference?It was great to have Carol Skyring join us. Carol had recently spent time in Victoria working with a number of regions with their new polytech videoconferencing gear. She talked about how it could be used including the value of virtual excursions etc. See her videoconference blog.
Although a number of discussion triggers were set out on whiteboard screens, four of the discussion points were covered:-
- The positives of our education system
- Problems with current educational system
- What does 21st century education look like?
- Obstacles to bringing education into the 21st century!
Here are the screenshots of the whiteboard prompts.
From the chat came the following:-
Tips, tricks and treats for the week
- Carol’s flavors me site
- From Erin came mapskip (you can pin audio, pics and stories onto a map. I’m hoping to get some of my coachees to use it for Year 9s to record their outdoor adventure
- Global Nomads Group (from Carol Skyring) – virtual field trips, videoconferencing etc
- A list of schools who are looking for classes to skype or videoconference with
Next week there will not be Tech Talk Tuesday, as it is the ACEC2010 conference in Melbourne. April 14th, will see Helen Otway , assistant principal, Manor Lake P-12 Specialist College, as our presenter, talking on the topic of “Going 1:1” and her school’s laptop program.